Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pirates

We were eating dinner in the great room of the lodge this past week while in the mountains.  Elizabeth and I were playing a game of cards and Jeff had run upstairs for a moment.  All of a sudden Elizabeth leans over the back of the sofa and points at an elegant elderly woman leaving the dining room.  I tried to grab her as I knew what she was about to say but with Henry in my arms I was not quick enough.  Elizabeth happily announces, loud enough for all to hear, 'look momma she gets to dress like a pirate!!!'.  This elegant woman was wearing a patch on her eye.  All turned to look and I slowly died inside.  Sigh.
We spent the next few days talking about how we don't point at people or make announcements about others appearances.  She really tried to process all of this and asked some great questions including 'Momma when we were at the store it was good to tell the lady her hair was pretty but I can't say that about the pirate lady?'

Sometimes these things are hard to explain.  We have just left it at no pointing and comments are said quietly to mom first.

No comments: