Sunday, August 28, 2011

Deception Pass State Park - aka Disney Land of Camping





We went to the Disney Land of camping this weekend and it was awesome despite the fact that I would have HATED IT three years ago. There are over 200 camp sites here which I know is not really escaping from humanity but with a three year old things are different.


I had this moment when I was loading the pack with all the things we would need for the day... blankets, snacks, camera, sand toys... realizing that this same pack came with me to far flung countries and heights and that I am not the mom I thought I would be. Before she was born we talked about taking off with her to Africa, I would work full time while Jeff mostly stayed at home, I would rejoice with my child's fearless exploring, and we would hire sitters so we could still climb in the mountains. This is not the mom I am today and I'm thrilled.I don't want to move away from my family of friends here in Seattle. I want Elizabeth to grow up knowing these amazing women that I am blessed to have as my friends. I love our mommie-Elizabeth days and feel blessed that we can make the choice to have me work only part time. I am happy to use our climbing packs for carrying sand toys, sunscreen and snacks and I tremble when she is fearless. I especially tremble in fear.



I have found that I also love the Disney Land of camping because I love seeing my daughter begin her exploration of the Pacific Northwest. I don't want to be in the mountains without her.


So for now it is Deception Pass which I have learned can be an amazing way to spend the weekend.


Mt. Baker in the distance (a summit our pack has visited)
Drift wood see saw is hours of home made fun.
We watched the sun set and she asked to the sky "Will it be pink again? Make it pink!" and it was. (yeah I'm not that good of a photographer but ask my daughter cause the sky was pink)


Good night

No comments: